Job Title: Offshore Wind Fellow
- Location: Remote within Salem; some in-person outreach and events
- Reports to: Offshore Wind Coordinator
- Duration: 15 weeks, 8hrs/week – some nights and weekends
- Compensation: $20/hr
Salem Alliance for the Environment (SAFE) addresses local environmental challenges in Salem, Massachusetts. Salem is a 400-year-old coastal city with a diverse population and a storied past. Deindustrialization decline, climate change, tourism, and gentrification all impact our urban landscape. Through its advocacy and activism, SAFE, founded in 2001, has played a key role in making Salem a leader in meeting the environmental challenges of the 21st century.
With Salem Harbor soon to be a hub for the off-shore wind industry, an industry that will transform our region into a leader in carbon-free energy generation, SAFE is working closely with the city and partner organizations to ensure that our environmental justice community comes first and that the jobs created benefit Salem and the greater North Shore residents.
The Offshore Wind (OSW) Fellow will support SAFE’s Outreach & Education efforts to engage with residents, partners, schools, and the city to bring about a just transition as our port is redeveloped, the operations and maintenance port is running, and the marine-related jobs become available.
This leadership position will be instrumental in helping SAFE engage with a younger generation while also reaching the Environmental Justice (EJ) community in Salem, namely in El Punto – a neighborhood made up largely of immigrants who are predominantly Spanish and Portuguese speakers.
SAFE’s wind efforts are broken out into Working Groups. We look forward to the OSW Fellow playing an instrumental role in supporting the Outreach & Education Working Group, as well as some support to the Labor Working Group when it comes to our educational institutions and programs in the region.
Where applicable, there is an additional opportunity for a professional development stipend.
- Works with OSW Coordinator and Volunteer Leaders of the OSW Working Groups to support in outreach and educational efforts.
- Develop social media presence on Instagram and TikTok.
- Help design a Wind Jobs webinar series that delves into the specific jobs connected to Salem’s port and connects interested young people and others into a growing industry.
- If fully bilingual in English and Spanish, will provide both interpretation and translation of digital and print content marketing materials.
- Co-Editor of an Offshore Wind Digest both digital and in print, translated to Spanish.
- Will be a voice for wind and SAFE for potential tabling or community engagement events.
- Hang up flyers around the city, specifically at locations within EJ neighborhoods
- The fellow will grow through regular check-ins with the OSW Coordinator and their role will be critical to the overall effectiveness of SAFE’s OSW efforts. The fellow will gain some basic skills in project management.
- Participation in some board meetings and discussions
Required skills and experience:
- Bilingual in Spanish. Any other language capabilities – particularly Portuguese – are an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently and in teams with a willingness to learn and be curious
- Experience and interest in social media and design
- An understanding of Environmental Justice communities
Please send a cover letter and resume to salemSAFE@gmail.com. Please put “OSW Fellowship Application” in the subject line. We are looking to hire in the Spring, but we are open to discussions with the right candidate.
SAFE is dedicated to forming an inclusive team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ+, and others from marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Don’t meet every single qualification listed above? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they do. If you are excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with everything listed in this description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate.